Monday, May 23, 2011

How one idiot plans to reduce the deficit...

So the powers-that-be are back in Washington arguing money along party lines as usual...

In the news today:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110522/hl_nm/us_usa_debt

What really stood out to me in this article, is where one Representative (I'll let you guess which party he represents) feels that, while we are talking about needing $4 TRILLION in spending cuts, the government COULD save money by paying less for prescription drugs...

Democratic Representative Chris Van Hollen, a participant in the Biden talks, said Washington could find savings by lowering the price the government pays for prescription drugs, rather than scaling back benefits for patients.
 So, rather than eliminating our "Nanny-State" government, where the Fed has their fingers in every aspect of life, lets NOT cut healthcare benefits, paid for compliments of the 53% of us who DO pay taxes in this country, and instead, tell drug retailers you aren't paying the going price for their medications???

THAT IS BRILLIANT!!! So much so, that I should emulate their philosophy in my everyday life as well!

"Yeah, hello, Walmart? Um yeah, I'm not going to pay $1/loaf of bread (those new smaller loaves) anymore... WTF do you mean I have to? Hello? Hello?" - They hung up...

Ok, let me try another.

"Yes, Mr. Tax Collector? My taxes are too high this year, I'm not going to pay the full amount anymore, I'll just pay half, in the interest of reducing my household costs". "Oh honey, look! The police are here!"

The point is, you don't just "pay less" for something because you are the government and think you can regulate private industry to give you special deals. Why do you think not all doctor's accept medicare/medicaid? Because the government doesn't pay them but pennies on the dollar, for their services rendered... It's not worth it.

But sure, lets FORCE pharmaceutical companies and pharmacies to take less than asking price, when Uncle Sam is paying... THEN they can just pass along the cost to the private citizen like you or I, for our medications, to absorb the loss, local governments get higher sales tax revenue, business is good, and the only ones REALLY out in the cold on this one, are, you guessed it, we the people...

It's called a tax increase, not so cleverly hidden in the now higher everyday cost for you and I, while some bureaucrat pats himself and his colleagues on the back, pointing to their "savings" that never actually materialize in the real world, but look great on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment